by Hayden Flanders
With a little under a week left until the NFL Draft starts, Rounds 2 and 3 will be done a week from today to be exact, there is still no NFL labor agreement. But that seems to be ready to last for a while yet.
The NFL owners and players were in negotiations the past two weeks, unfortunately, nothing came out of it. Judge Arther Boylan, who is overseeing the mediation has adjourned the mediation until mid-May at the earliest. On the other hand, Judge Susan Nelson is expected to rule on the players lawsuit stating that the owners’ lockout placed on them is not valid.
From news that came from the New York Daily News today, states that it sounds like the players are most likely going to win this round. If the players do, it would mean the lockout can’t be done, and it would be lifted. . .However, the owners have already said they will instantly appeal it, all 32 of them, so the lockout will be put right back in place, the second it is lifted due to the appeals needing to be ruled on. So Nelson’s ruling will just lead to a never-ending circle of lockout-no lockout. Needless to say, the courts aren’t going to help anything.
Anyways, back to what I was going to talk about. As I mentioned earlier, the NFL Draft is set to start in less than a week, Thursday, April 28 at 7:00 PM CT/8:00 ET. ESPN will be televising it, along with the NFL Network. I know, I, for one, will be watching all seven rounds, starting Thursday, and closing on Saturday Night.
I’ve been watching ESPN and reading the articles online “religiously”, getting ready for the draft, and have been working on my own Mock Draft of the 1st round. For those who are interested, I have it attached below the article.
While I’m pretty surprised that the #1 overall selection by the Carolina Panthers is still a heavy mystery, unless like last season when most, if not all of the analysts and experts, and even me, had the St. Louis Rams selecting Sam Bradford, the quarterback from Oklahoma #1 overall, and on Draft Day, that’s exactly what they did. Although, all the “signs” this year point to Auburn quarterback Cam Newton being the #1 selection.
A lot of my 1st round picks, the majority of them, will look almost exactly like some of the experts out there, mainly because they have picked how I have, and their reasoning is VERY sound in all of them. If any of you are NFL fans, agree and/or disagree with any of my picks here in the 1st 32, and have twitter, feel free to tweet at me @HayJay2000. I’d love to hear your thoughts about the upcoming draft and even have some awesome discussion!
Hayden Flanders 1st Round NFL Mock Draft
Team Player Position School
1. Carolina Panthers - Cam Newton – QB – Auburn
2. Denver Broncos - Marcell Dareus – DT – Alabama
3. Buffalo Bills – Von Miller – LB – Texas A&M
4. Cincinnati Bengals – A.J. Green – WR – Georgia
5. Arizona Cardinals – Blaine Gabbert – QB – Missouri
6. Cleveland Browns – Julio Jones – WR – Alabama
7. San Francisco 49ers – Patrick Peterson – CB – LSU
8. Tennessee Titans – Nick Fairley – DT – Auburn
9. Dallas Cowboys – Tyron Smith – OT – USC
10. Washington Redskins – Robert Quinn – DE – North Carolina
11. Houston Texans – Aldon Smith – DE – Missouri
12. Minnesota Vikings – Corey Liuget – DT – Illinois
13. Detroit Lions – Prince Amukamara – CB – Nebraska
14. St. Louis Rams – Ryan Kerrigan – DE – Purdue
15. Miami Dolphins – Ryan Mallett – QB – Arkansas
16. Jacksonville Jaguars – Akeem Ayers – LB – UCLA
17. New England Patriots – Anthony Castonzo – OT – Boston College
18. San Diego Chargers – J.J. Watt – DE – Wisconsin
19. New York Giants – Gabe Carimi – OT – Wisconsin
20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Da’Quan Bowers – DE – Clemson
21. Kansas City Chiefs – Phil Taylor – DT – Baylor
22. Indianapolis Colts – Derek Sherrod – OL – Mississippi
23. Philadelphia Eagles – Brandon Harris – CB – Miami (FL.)
24. New Orleans Saints – Adrian Clayborn – DL – Iowa
25. Seattle Seahawks – Jake Locker – QB – Washington
26. Baltimore Ravens – Jimmy Smith – CB - Colorado
27. Atlanta Falcons – Cameron Heyward – DE – Ohio State
28. New England Patriots – Mark Ingram – RB – Alabama
29. Chicago Bears – Nate Solder – OT – Colorado
30. New York Jets – Muhammad Wilkerson – DT – Temple
31. Pittsburgh Steelers – Mike Pouncey – OG – Florida