Friday, April 20, 2012

Moose’s Cleaning Adventure




by Chelsea Eastwood

I’ve had a lot on my plate with school and work, so cleaning the house has been put on a back burner, until now. The place I live in isn’t a huge place. It has two bedrooms, one bathroom, a dining room, the normal stuff, nothing fancy, but when it’s dirty it can feel like a mansion to clean.  I’m not the only one who lives here and dirties it either, I have a roommate -- a little boy, he’s eight-months old and his name is Moose.  Moose is my puppy, for lack of a better word, because to me he is my child, a four-legged, wet-nosed, floppy-eared, long-tailed, bouncing bundle of joy.  Moose is a black-lab, boxer, and pit bull mix.  He looks mostly like a black-lab with a boxer face; he is all black, but has a white spot on his chest and his back feet are white tipped.  Moose pretty much rules the roost; he’s in charge, and he knows it.  He is also my cleaning buddy; he helps make the mess and he “helps” clean it up, or rather, add to the mess some more. 
               
Today is cleaning day so I start with the living room, picking up all the stuff that’s lying around.  Moose’s bed is in the living room. It’s a large round Sherpa-lined dog bed, that unfortunately Moose never, and I mean never, sleeps in.  He occasionally lies in his bed, and he will play with his bed, but doesn’t sleep in it under any circumstance, not even for a nap.  So after cleaning that up and moving it out of the way, the next task is picking up all of Moose’s toys.  Now this may not seem that tricky, but Moose doesn’t understand the concept of cleaning.  So if you’re picking up his toys and moving them to a different room or rounding them up to put in his bed, he likes to drag them back out and scatter them throughout the house.  It’s a little annoying when you’re trying to clean.  Next it’s vacuuming the floors and the furniture, which are entirely covered with black Moose hair.  The vacuum to Moose is an alien that makes noises he does not approve of.  So he barks at it, and chases it, but runs away from it when it chases him.  It’s the funniest thing I’ve ever seen, and it makes me laugh every time.
               
Next is more of Moose’s mess to clean up, his food and water dishes in the kitchen.  He has a rubber mat under them to keep things clean. That’s a joke.  Moose will take a mouthful of food and then walk away eating it, which mean food goes everywhere. Also in the kitchen is what I’ve cleverly named “Moose’s Corner.”  “Moose’s Corner” includes his kennel, dog food and treat containers and ,of course, his Tupperware.  Moose’s Tupperware has all of his goodies in it.  It’s where his bones, leash, extra collars, and his outfits are stored.  Yes, I am one of those people who dress my dog up.  Moose is a boy dog so he doesn’t wear girly stuff. He has manly things, like socks, pajamas, and a fleece sweater for when it’s cold outside. For the most part, he hates his clothes, but he loves the attention he gets when wearing them. 

I’m starting to realize my house might be taken over by Moose’s things.
               
Moose and I take a short break from cleaning to go outside.  This only reveals more of Moose’s mischief.  Sometime in the past week Moose has managed to dig a huge hole in the backyard.  As if he doesn’t have anything to do outside.  He has outside toys and a huge fenced in yard to run around in, neighbor dogs he likes to bark with, and plenty of sticks to play with.  This break has also made me aware of all the “presents” Moose has left in the backyard for me to clean up, thanks a lot.  Since I don’t have time to deal with all that now, we go back inside to finish cleaning.

I decide to tackle the last room, my bedroom. This can sometimes be the worst room to clean, depending on how busy I was this week.  Since this week has been very hectic I can only image what I’m getting myself into as I enter.  It’s everything I dreamed it could be, clothes are everywhere.  After I spend some time sorting dirty from clean and hang up all the clean ones I’m pretty much done. It wasn’t too bad; it was just all the clothes.  I’m so tired and I believe nap time is in order, only I can’t find Moose.  He usually is in the room I am cleaning but he’s nowhere to be found.  After I quick sweep of the house I find him, in the last place I would ever look, his dog bed.
                 
After a long day of cleaning, Moose and I are both tuckered out.  Without Moose I wouldn’t have as big a mess to clean up, but I also wouldn’t have as much fun cleaning it up.  I can definitely say cleaning isn’t my favorite thing to do but I’m glad that since I have to do it I have someone as great as Moose to help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment